Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Heroes...Who needs God when you've got me?

It happens rarely, that something truly sweeps my legs away under me; my jabs about how I feel jaded may even have some truth to them. Usually, if it happens, it's something life-changing, an entirely new outlook on life or similar, but apparantly, less can suffice.

A few days ago, I was introduced to a series. TV-series of all things, something I've never had any realy interest in. I considered tv-series the pacifier for the dimwitted, which I admit is a rather unwarranted attitude.

The series was called Heroes. 15 episodes of each 45 minutes, give or take. I've chomped through all 15 now. Record speed at that, but then again I never was good at limiting myself once I found a new indulgence.

The series revolves around something that instantly reminded me of the game settings Aberrant; normal people who discover they are developing supernatural powers, and struggling to come to terms with it. From the empathic cop, to the super-regenerating cheerleader outcast, pretty much all aspects and walks of life. It could so easily, ever so easily have become shallow and trite, but instead something developed in this series. I admit I was both tired and marginally drunk when I saw the first three episodes, but even so I honestly felt it touched me, somehow. I came to care for the characters, care for the plot, appreciate the story I was being told.

It made me think of old role playing sessions, things I miss doing. Everyone should have the chance to be a hero at some point, if just for a few hours, or even minutes.

By comparison, I don't think my life qualifies as heroic. Today as an example; top achievement today was to buy an expensive electric shaver, and a mildly excessive amount of energy drinks I've recently fallen for. Hey, they're cheap, taste alright, and apart from that, they alledgedly contain both Guarana and caffeine. Score.

Not epic, though. I very much doubt I could pass the snot in my head off as epic, unless it started glowing - in which case I'd label it radioactive and try to sell it to terrorists or somesuch.

Returning to the matter at hand;

The title of this blog, the latter part is a quote from the series.

I rarely say this, and those who know me know it to be true, it's very rare that I find something that moves me enough to start trying to peddle it to others. Fundamentally, I think everyone should make their own choice to find things...but this is going to be the exception.

You have a chance to stumble upon Heroes, seize the chance. Stock up your fridge, lock the door, and immerse yourself into a world that's as fascinating and promising as it is grim and bleak at times.

It's a form of relief; I doubt anyone has not at several times wished they had special powers, and the ability to do right the things wronged...Doing the right thing, and dreaming of it seems to be an awfully reoccurring theme for me. Yay for reality escaping, I guess.

No comments: